The Office of Research, Evaluation, and Program Support (REPS) at The City University of New York (CUNY) is seeking several Research Specialists to join the team within the Central Office – Office of Applied Research, Evaluation, and Data Analytics (OAREDA). Research Specialists will lead and participate on project teams, manage all phases of evaluation projects, and lead evaluation report writing and dissemination. Moreover, Research Specialists will conduct quantitative and qualitative analyses utilizing a variety of data sets and databases to evaluate the programs and produce effective data visualizations. The positions report to a member of the REPS leadership team.
Other key responsibilities include, but will not be limited to the following:
- Provide critical support to program directors and staff by collecting, coding, and organizing program data sets, and developing evaluation reports.
- Coordinate the administration, collection, and analysis of data as required for program evaluation and assessment.
- Create and manipulate large, complex datasets from multiple sources.
- Document procedures and analyses; respond to ad hoc requests in a timely and accurate manner.
- Conduct literature reviews that synthesize the state of research and policy in relevant project areas.
- Coordinate projects and project teams effectively and efficiently to deliver high-quality, actionable data and evaluation to project partners on time.
- Liaise with program partners to engage them in the project, keep them apprised of progress and issues that arise, and discuss results.
- Communicate evaluation findings in written reports, briefs, data visualizations, and presentations for a variety of audiences.
The City University of New York (CUNY) is the nation’s leading urban public university, comprised of 25 component institutions and total enrollment of 261,000 undergraduate and graduate students, with another 185,000 enrollments in continuing education and workforce programs. Recently, CUNY’s Office of Academic Affairs (OAA) announced the formation of the Office of Applied Research, Evaluation, and Data Analytics (OAREDA), a unified research and data unit that will integrate and streamline the important work of three major research and data areas: institutional research and assessment, program evaluation and program support, and data management and analytics. The Office of Research, Evaluation, and Program Support (REPS) is a comprehensive program evaluation unit situated within OAREDA. REPS coordinates with OAREDA’s data unit on data collection and management protocols, business intelligence tools for reporting, and employs rigorous qualitative and quantitative research methods, and approach their work with a focus on leveraging data integration to drive program improvement and inform critical decision-making. https://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/evaluation/about-us/
Working in many dimensions of public higher education, REPS conducts empirical research, and implementation and impact studies to provide partners with the knowledge and resources necessary to develop, improve, and ultimately reach key project goals. REPS currently provides evaluation services to over 30 educational programs administered by CUNY’s Central Office organized into three focus areas: College Readiness, College Access and Success, and Career Readiness and Workforce Development. We also partner with programs and researchers at CUNY campuses, as well as external organizations and institutions in New York City.
Until further notice, this is a hybrid position, eligible to work remotely and work in the office. All CUNY employees must reside within a commutable distance to the tri-state area.
Candidates will be required to provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment. Exemption (medical or religious) requests to this requirement will be considered in accordance with applicable law. Being fully vaccinated is defined for this purpose as being at least two weeks past their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. Final candidates must be fully vaccinated as of their first day of employment.
Bachelor’s degree and four years’ related experience required.
- Master’s degree or graduate training in education or the social sciences, with at least two years of full-time experience working in an applied research setting. An advanced degree in a directly related discipline may substitute for up to two years of the required experience. (REVISED)
- Four years’ experience analyzing, querying, manipulating, and extracting data from large databases using SQL in an applied research or educational setting.
- Formal training in research and evaluation methods with a strong understanding of statistical concepts.
- Experience employing qualitative and quasi-experimental quantitative research methods in program evaluation (i.e. propensity score matching, linear regression, or logistic regression).
- Experience translating research findings into deliverables for diverse types of audiences.
- Familiarity with matching data sets and manipulating large amounts of data from multiple sources.
- Intermediate/advanced proficiency using statistical software (STATA or R) to analyze and manipulate large data sets with complex structures, plus experience using data visualization tools (Tableau).
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office programs, academic, administrative, and financial systems and databases, plus virtual meeting/conferencing and collaboration tools.
- Keen interest in issues of access to and success in postsecondary education.
- Detail oriented and accurate with strong analytical, research, evaluation, and writing skills.
- Proactive and flexible with strong interpersonal communication, presentation and group facilitation skills.
- Strong organizational and follow-through skills to develop and execute work plans, prioritize work, manage multiple evaluation and/or research projects and meet program demands and deadlines.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Oversees collection and assessment of data for Institutional Research purposes.
- Compiles, maintains, and analyzes institutional data in various formats
- Produces reports and metrics based on department’s needs; responds to time-critical ad-hoc requests
- Loads, extracts, edits, and evaluates data for reporting and analytics
- Maintains selected databases and document libraries, updating and ensuring data quality and accuracy
- May participate in internal and external surveys as needed
- May consult with others in designing methodology for research projects
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Higher Education Assistant
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary is commensurate with education, qualifications and experience, up to $84,946.
CUNY’s benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
For full consideration, submit a cover letter and resume online via CUNY’s web-based job system, addressing how your experience and credentials fulfill the responsibilities and qualifications outlined.
The direct link to the job opening from external sources is:
Current CUNY employees must apply through CUNYfirst Employee Self Service using your login credentials. After you login to CUNYfirst, navigate to job openings by following the path from the Main Menu: Human Capital Management –>Employee Self Service –>Careers
May 23, 2022
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.