CUNY Office of Applied Research, Evaluation, and Data Analytics
The Office of Applied Research, Evaluation, and Data Analytics (OAREDA) at The City University of New York (CUNY) is seeking a Senior Decision Support Analyst to manage institutional research data, document data resources, and expand data literacy across the University. OAREDA consists of a dynamic group of data analysts, program support specialists, application developers, database administrators, and data architects that manage and utilize university and external data sources for decision support to the Chancellery of the City University of New York (CUNY), the university community and external constituents. The Senior Decision Support Analyst is a steward of institutional research data and the extensive data resources and analytic and reporting tools used to support business analytics, institutional research, mandatory reporting, and other data-focused decision-support activities. A major responsibility includes cataloguing and documenting institutional data and guiding OAREDA analysts in using these data resources. The Senior Decision Support Analyst is also responsible for creating, organizing, documenting, and communicating conceptual and technical information about data collections and processing, data transformations, and data use cases to ensure all OAREDA units and college campus-based IR departments are using consistent business rules and processes for reporting and analytics to inform evidence-based planning, evaluation, and decision-making capability on student and curricular programs.
Reporting to the University Institutional Research Director who functions as the senior IRDB manager, the Senior Decision Support Analyst: prepares and manages comprehensive data dictionaries for OAREADA’s reporting databases detailing data lineage and use cases; develops visual and written documentation of data resources; writes explanations and user notes for a growing body of data dashboards (visualizations); and creates training materials in traditional and multimedia formats for various data analysts and constituents across the University. The ideal candidate will possess a blend of analytical, communication, and technical skills to develop accessible and relevant information for institutional research analysts and report developers. In addition to the CUNY Title Overview, other essential duties include, but will not be limited to the following:
– Creates and manages a library of new and existing data documentation and training materials.- Investigates data to understand underlying structure and field values.- Compiles relevant information and useful resources to successfully complete documentation assignments.- Develops training materials for IR analysts’ ongoing professional development.
– Summarizes and presents complex information and concepts to various audiences.
– Creates user-friendly narrative and visual documentation (in the form of web-accessible manuals, flow charts, decision diagrams, infographics) to communicate important details of OAREDA’s data collection and management processes, complex data transformations, and metric calculations.
– Partners with members of the data management team to gather information and keep abreast of new data developments; establishes and maintains relationships with CUNY key data owners.
– Collaborates with IR data analysts and university administrators to facilitate the delivery of standardized analytical information aligned with institutional reporting needs.
Until further notice, this is a hybrid position, eligible to work remotely and work on-site in the office.
Candidates will be required to provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment. Exemption (medical or religious) requests to this requirement will be considered in accordance with applicable law. Being fully vaccinated is defined for this purpose as being at least two weeks past their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. Final candidates must be fully vaccinated as of their first day of employment.
MINIMUM– Bachelor’s degree and six years’ related experience required.
PREFERRED– Advanced degree in a research/applied research related discipline (statistics, social science, data analytics), or other field related to institutional research and planning.
– Experience in education/higher education research, statistical analysis, data storytelling, data documentation, governance, management and analysis, and knowledge management practices, including conducting analyses on complex data sets, including developing metrics about the student experience and student outcomes.
– Advanced proficiency using SQL (reading and writing code) and Oracle database, with experience joining/ integrating data sets from multiple sources and conducting in-depth analyses on multiple sources.
– Ability to organize and simplify complex technical information and code.
– Strong organizational and project management skills to develop objectives, plan work, set and adapt to changing priorities, manage competing demands/changes and meet deadlines.- Proactive, flexible, and collaborative work style with strong interpersonal communication, presentation, and negotiation skills to forge successful relationships with diverse faculty, staff, and external partners.- Detail-oriented and precise with strong research, writing, and analytical skills, plus ability to thrive in a demanding, multi-faceted, and time-sensitive office.-Commitment to public service, service excellence, inclusion, equity, ethics, and integrity to manage highly sensitive information and material discretely.- Computer proficiency using academic, administrative, and financial systems, databases, and programs; flow charting and diagramming applications (Visio, LucidChart); Microsoft Office programs, and remote/virtual meeting and collaboration tools (Office 365, MS Teams, MS Lists, SharePoint, Zoom, WebEx, Skype, etc.).
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Constructs and manages comprehensive University-level data analyses and systems informing institutional decision-making, operational and strategic planning, policy development and reporting
– Manages various research projects, surveys, analytics, institutional effectiveness evaluations and reports to frame and satisfy administrative and academic information needs
– Develops new capabilities in Business Intelligence analytics, solutions, dashboards, metrics and progress measures reflecting emerging and dynamic data needs
– Identifies and utilizes current technologies and applications to make data more accessible to internal and external stakeholders
– Implements, monitors and evaluates the data collection and reporting policies and procedures
– Participates in creating and implementing institutional performance evaluation and management systems
– Performs other duties as assigned
Higher Education Associate
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary is up to $98,362, commensurate with qualifications, education, and experience.
CUNY’s benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
For full consideration, submit a cover letter and resume online via CUNY’s web-based job system, addressing how your experience and credentials meet the responsibilities and qualifications outlined. The direct link to the job opening from external sources is:https://hrsa.cunyfirst.cuny.edu/psc/erecruit/EMPLOYEE/HRMSCG/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=24823&PostingSeq=1 Current CUNY employees must apply through CUNYfirst Employee Self Service using their login credentials. After you login, click the Careers tile on the Employee Self Service Menu page to view job openings.
August 26, 2022
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.