Westat is an employee-owned corporation providing research services to agencies of the U.S. Government, as well as businesses, foundations, and state and local governments. Westat’s research, technical, and administrative staff of more than 2,000 is located at our headquarters in Rockville, Maryland, near Washington, DC.
Westat’s Education Studies Practice is seeking a well-trained education researcher to contribute to research teams conducting evaluations of educational interventions. A strong candidate will have a doctoral degree in the social sciences and excellent quantitative, analytic, and communication skills.
Job responsibilities include:
- Conducting quantitative analyses to evaluate education policies and programs.
- Contributing to the design of research and evaluation studies.
- Communicating results to broad audiences including policymakers and practitioners through written and oral presentations.
- Contributing to proposals for new projects sponsored by the U.S. Department of Education, state and local governments, foundations, and other funders.
- Working under the guidance of more senior researchers, with latitude for independent action and decision-making.
- Mentoring more junior staff.
- Master’s degree in a social science field (e.g., economics, education, psychology, public policy, or sociology) and a minimum of 5 years of related experience; or a Doctoral in a social science field (e.g., economics, education, psychology, public policy, or sociology). Doctoral degree may be completed or expected completion by June 2022.
- Dissertation on an education policy topic.
- Experience manipulating data and conducting advanced statistical analyses with software packages (e.g., R, SAS, SPSS, or Stata).
- Excellent quantitative and analytic skills.
- Knowledge of K-12 education research, data sets, policies, and programs.
- Ability to communicate complex technical material to non-technical audiences through written and oral communication.
- Knowledge of experimental and quasi-experimental designs.
- Ability to work well on interdisciplinary teams.
Westat offers a well-rounded and comprehensive benefits program focused on wellness and work/life balance. Eligible employees may participate in:
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Vacation Leave
- Sick Leave
- Holiday Leave
- Professional Development
- Health Advocate
- Employee Assistance Program
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
Westat is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or any other protected status under applicable law.