The Department of Educational Leadership & Policy Studies (ELPS) in the College of Education at Florida State University invites applications for a nine-month, tenure-earning assistant professor position. We seek a colleague committed to research, mentorship, teaching, and advising with equity, inclusion, and social justice as guiding principles. The successful candidate will be expected to conduct research and center their research agenda on instructional and/or teacher policies, teach courses in our online educational leadership/administration master’s/specialist certificate and EdD programs as well as in our face-to-face leadership and policy master’s and PhD programs, advise doctoral students, chair doctoral student dissertation committees, contribute to academic service, and apply for external funding to support their research projects.
ELPS strives to develop a deep understanding of, and respect for, equity and inclusion among students and colleagues. We recognize the importance of decolonizing our educational system and strive to build inclusive systems through the exploration of many truths and lived experiences, creating room for those who are often excluded. We approach equity, social justice, and cultural responsiveness as cross-cutting themes in departmental policy and practice, program curriculum, and faculty and student research. The Department enrolls a sizable and diverse population of students in MS, PhD, and online EdD degree programs. Currently, almost half of our students are from racial/ethnic minoritized populations. We seek a colleague to teach across these programs, with a particular focus on advising a diverse group of PhD and EdD students.
For more information about the College of Education, visit: education.fsu.edu. For more information about the Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies, visit: https://education.fsu.edu/elps.
- Engaging in a well-defined scholarship agenda with clear connections to K12 instructional and/or teacher policies;
- Teaching graduate courses in educational leadership or policy related to applied policy, instructional and/or teacher policy and practice, and/or research methodology;
- Advising graduate students in MS, online EdD, and PhD programs;
- Serving on student graduate committees, including chairing EdD and PhD student dissertations;
- Providing service to the university, the department, the college, and the profession;
- Developing and submitting grant proposals to potential funding agencies.
- Earned doctorate in educational leadership/administration, education policy, or similar education and/or social science disciplines;
- Evidence of high-quality scholarship (e.g., recent publications in peer reviewed journals, working papers, recent presentations at national or international conferences);
- Demonstrated commitments to equity, social justice, and cultural responsiveness;
- Commitment to and experience working with diverse student populations;
- Ability to teach courses on K12 instructional and/or teacher policy and reform.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with mentorship, in preparation for chairing EdD and PhD student dissertations;
- K12 teaching experience;
- Experience with online/hybrid instruction as a student or instructor;
- Potential for success in garnering external funding for research.
How to Apply:
If qualified and interested in a specific faculty job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu. If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service.
Review of candidates will begin November 1, 2021, and will continue until filled. We urge interested candidates to submit materials as soon as possible.
Applicants are required to complete FSU’s online application, providing all educational details and a curriculum vitae including names of three references with contact information. Applications should also include work history and all education details (if applicable), even if attaching curriculum vita. Applicants should also include a cover letter stating (1) research agenda and experience and (2) commitment to mentoring, teaching, and advising students with equity and justice as guiding principles.
Transcripts, up to three work samples (such as publications or manuscripts under review), and three written letters of recommendation will be required of candidates selected for a campus interview.
Questions regarding the application submission system and process should be directed to the application coordinator:
Johanna Petty, Sr. Administrative Specialist
Educational Leadership & Policy Studies
Search Committee Co-Chairs, Educational Leadership & Policy
Equal Employment Opportunity:
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.FSU’s Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.hr.fsu.edu/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf